Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Got a puppy!


...and by puppy I mean dog....and by dog I mean a 12 year old Shetland sheepdog! So, I have been really bummed about this summer being so unproductive and monotonous (see below) but a 14 pound sheltie has broken the boredom cycle! :) I have been looking around at local shelters for a dog for about a month now. My mom finally agreed to a dog now that I am 23 (my brother and I begged as children for any pet) but thats ok, I'll take it. Her rules about a dog were as follows: 10 pounds and if she falls in love with it, I have to leave it at home when I move out. In essence, I was picking out a dog for her, taking care of getting in acclimated to our cat, and responsible for its well being until further notice ...which is fine with me, I just wanted one and now was the perfect time: No job = lots of time.

Mike and I spent last week searching the internet and visiting my local shelter. When we found a dog everyone liked, he was not ready to be adopted. He had just come in and would be available in two days. The staff told us to come back if we wanted to adopt him. We went back, but since another family was interested in him they decided to interview us and then choose. We had our interview first then they let us play with him. I was not too attached to this dog (I didn't get to pet him the first time or anything, we just saw him through bars) but after we took him out and found out how friendly he was, I definitely wanted to take him home Unfortunately when we came back in, they told us they had chosen the other family....while I was still holding him! I was crushed and poor Mike had to try and remind me that there are plenty of dogs that need homes and we will find one that needs us. It was still sad for me.

Then on Sunday my mother and I went to another shelter to look. When we walked in, there were two lines: One full of people filling out adoption forms and one full of people giving up their pets. In the middle of all the dogs, cats and ferrets was this little Lassie- looking dog. My mom loved her, even though she was a bit bigger then she wanted (she was 14 lbs) we couldn't leave her there. We were able to take her right home! We did look at the animals in the back and it was so sad and scary there....If you are looking for a dog GO TO YOUR LOCAL SHELTER :) There are many lovable pets just waiting for a home.

Izzy is my new dogs name. Izzy sits. Izzy stays. Izzy shakes paws/hands. Izzy doesn't bark.

I love my Izzy. <3>

Bottom line....Doing something constructive while waiting in between graduation and starting work is a good thing!

www.petfinder.com ----> You can find a new friend here :)


~L

No comments:

Post a Comment